So last week I was knee-deep in lobbying in Sacramento against CA AB 178 and then spent the rest of the week in San Francisco at the Web 2.0 Expo. So I didn’t have a lot of time to read my RSS feed. So some of this stuff is a bit old, but don’t shoot the messenger. If you were on top of your game you wouldn’t rely on this, so just remember that beggars can’t be choosers!
- Another guest post by me at Marketing Pilgrim on a new Social Media masters program being offered in the UK.
- You can save 5% when flying JetBlue to Affiliate Summit East in August. I took them up on this discount for ASE last year in Boston and it totally turned JetBlue into my favorite airline!
- The face of Ebates.com, Paul Nichols, has left them to start his own consulting company. Good luck Paul!
- Scott Jangro asks us all: Is there room for two affiliate marketing organizations?
- Of course he asks because Affiliate Voice officially launched. President Melanie Seery announced it on her blog.
- ShareResults came out with the BAMroll last week (The Big Affiliate Marketing roll). Very cool idea.
- I wrote up my recap of the Web 2.0 Expo last week for the New Edge Media blog.
- Speaking of NEM, I’m no longer of their employ. Wanna hire me? Of course you do… Email me!
Happy Friday The 13th! I personally like this day just for the weird television programming you get, so you should remember to check your local listings on channels like Discovery, TLC, and History for some possibly cool stuff. That is, if they didn’t jump the shark with those types of programs last month!
Some varied things going on this week… some of which I covered!
- Google Calendar is Available Offline. I reported on the story for Marketing Pilgrim.
- We finally got Episode 2 of Affiliate Marketing Fanatics up after some problems with recording. Luckily editing was long but not bad.
- Commission Junction is webinar crazy! They hosted one on Thursday for businesses considering affiliate marketing, and whether or not the channel is really right for them. Next week on the agenda is The Consumer Cries, “Coupon!” How Will You Answer?. This should be a good one to listen in on to see their stance.
I haven’t had the chance to do very many of these during February… the month was filled with birthday celebrations, a vacation, and a lot of Wii in the evening since I’ve been strangely obsessed with Guitar Hero and Animal Crossing: City Folk. But since I’ve been back from vacation I’ve seen some great stuff, so I want to share.
Forgive me, some of it will be a bit out of date.
- Geno Prussakov put together a great list of affiliate marketing events in 2009.
- California is looking into a tax for online sales. Scott Jangro has written an open letter to the California outlining why it’s a bad idea. I am going to take his advice and grab the letter to send myself as a resident of California.
- Read the full California Assembly Bill 178 and contact your representatives to explain why this is a bad idea for affiliate marketers in California!
- 20/20 contacted the Performance Marketing Alliance for some background on affiliate marketing for a series they’re doing on the proliferation of work-at-home schemes. It’s good to see that they’re able to do some positive PR for the industry already… very promising since they’re off to a slow start.
- I wrote another guest post for Marketing Pilgrim, this time on The Search Engine Known as Twitter.
- If you’re at all interested in reading about my rambles about my Caribbean cruise vacation, check out my Posterous blog.
Yes, normally this would have come last week on Friday, but like many I was out shopping for my precious GPS unit that was on super sale. I hope everyone had a lovely Turkey Day! Did you know that until 1863, Thanksgiving was celebrated on different days? The president would announce when it would be celebrated until that year, when President Abraham Lincoln decreed it would be on the fourth Thursday in November. It actually took until 1941 for Congress to pass an official proclamation declaring it a legal holiday on the fourth Thursday in November.
So be thankful for your health and the good information you can find online!
- Our own Manda Otto reviewed the new seoMOZ toolbar, now still in private beta testing. This looks to be an invaluable tool for SEO and SEM professionals everywhere, expected to be available sometime in January or February.
- There’s some debate on the future of the banner ad in online marketing. Brad Waller and Peter Figueredo both discussed it over at ReveNews: The Banner is Dead by Brad Waller and Is Display Advertising Worthwhile in a Down Economy? by Peter Figueredo.
- I wrote a guest post for Marketing Pilgrim that you should check out: Mobile Advertising Has Future Among Teens.
- In more New Edge Media news, we’ve welcomed a new team member, Kate Morris, into the fold as Director of Client Services!
This week has been full of win, and it’s only Tuesday!
All the Cool Kids (and me)
My humble little blog TrishaLyn.com has been featured on Alltop.com under the Marketing category. Alltop is a digital magazine rack, per se. At each Alltop site, they display the latest five stories from 30+ sites on a single page, aggregating the information as a starting point. Alltop is a great way to expose yourself to blogs and websites relating to your interests that you may not have stumbled upon before. The interests range from women’s interests to sports, religion to geekery. In the marketing category my humble blog is mentioned amongst the likes of Andy Beal’s Marketing Pilgrim, Michael Martine’s Remarkablogger, and Seth Godin’s blog. I’d say that lives up to the “all the cool kids (and me)” slogan!
Guest Co-Host of AffiliateThing on WebmasterRadio.fm
Regular host Shawn Collins of AffiliateTip.com and co-founder of Affiliate Summit invited me on to co-host the weekly Affiliate Thing podcast in lieu of regular co-host Lisa Picarille of Revenue Magazine who can’t make it tomorrow. I’m excited as I know this is a well-produced, professional podcast broadcast on WebmasterRadio.fm, so I can’t wait. I’ll be recording from the pleasure of my own home in the morning and can’t wait to chew the affiliate fat with Shawn. I will say that I’m glad I’m not the one who has to edit it! it’s all recorded over Skype, so it’ll be great quality I’m sure!
Featured Expert on EzineArticles.com
That’s right, yours truly is also now a featured expert author on article site EzineArticles.com. So far I’ve submitted my Top 10 Things That Improve Work Ethic article and plan on submitting many more. If you’d like to see any of my former blog posts as articles on Ezine, drop me a line and let me know!
So that’s it! I feel like all this work I’ve been doing is paying off, and let me tell you, it’s a terrific feeling! I’ll be sure to report back on how the recording of Affiliate Thing goes tomorrow!Read More