Web 2.0 Expo: The Social Media Trilogy: Three Vital Components for Building a Successful Online Strategy
Session Description: It’s time to look at the big picture – beyond starting a blog or getting your team on Twitter. To survive in these trying economic times, enterprises must adopt a trilogy of Web 2.0 fundamentals as part of their long-term communications objectives. This session leverages the experiences of some of the world’s most successful communities to help you develop a strategic vision for enterprise-oriented social media. Also included are several use cases that demonstrate the success of having organization-wide Web 2.0 technology and information on how Vignette is helping the world’s leading brands with their social media efforts. Takeaways include how Web 2.0 intersects with a broader online strategy, the social media success trilogy and how to integrate these fundamentals into your organization’s DNA. Sponsored by Vignette.
This session took place Thursday, April 2, 2009. The speaker:
- Gerardo Dada, Vignette
I’m not sure what I was expecting, but this session was good.
Bullet Point Review!
- Only 12% rate their web 2.0 efforts as effective.
- Measurement is key.
- 40% of businesses have no real strategy.
- Web 2.0 is viewed as an immature medium.
- 2008 was the year of Trying, 2009 is the year of Embracing.
- How do you build a strategy?
- You don’t; web 2.0 supports a strategy. It’s a tool. Marketing, Customer Service, Human Resources, Corporate Communications, PR, product development, knowledge management, etc.
- People are looking for answers and information. They don’t care as much where it comes from.
- Social is integrated part of the web.
- How do you build a community?
- You can only foster a community.
- Participate in a community.
- People have persona’s and want to keep them separate.
- There’s nothing wrong with integrating technology buy you have to ask permission.
- Strategy has to be flexible enough to work with what’s coming next.
- Understand what people are saying.
- How do you succeed in Social Media?
- It’s about the people.
- Fundamentally change the company mindset.
- There’s a resurgence of the personal brand.
- Requires a mind shift and a new culture.
- Be Passionate!
- Develop a Strategy (set milestones).
- Have clear goals and metrics
- Without metrics you won’t get support from executives.
- Needs to be on top of mind
- Marketing lead it, IT is jumping in now.
I didn’t write anything down from the Q&A portion, though I remember there being one. I think it was a lot of people asking specific questions that really didn’t have any kind of broad appeal to my readers here, but overall it was a good session.
Latest posts by Trisha Lyn Fawver (see all)
- JustMySize.com Active Skirtini Two-Piece Swimsuit Review - July 22, 2014
- What I’m Bringing to BlogHer ’14 - July 21, 2014
- Meet Winston the Wonder Pug - July 18, 2014