Yes, normally this would have come last week on Friday, but like many I was out shopping for my precious GPS unit that was on super sale. I hope everyone had a lovely Turkey Day! Did you know that until 1863, Thanksgiving was celebrated on different days? The president would announce when it would be celebrated until that year, when President Abraham Lincoln decreed it would be on the fourth Thursday in November. It actually took until 1941 for Congress to pass an official proclamation declaring it a legal holiday on the fourth Thursday in November.
So be thankful for your health and the good information you can find online!
- Our own Manda Otto reviewed the new seoMOZ toolbar, now still in private beta testing. This looks to be an invaluable tool for SEO and SEM professionals everywhere, expected to be available sometime in January or February.
- There’s some debate on the future of the banner ad in online marketing. Brad Waller and Peter Figueredo both discussed it over at ReveNews: The Banner is Dead by Brad Waller and Is Display Advertising Worthwhile in a Down Economy? by Peter Figueredo.
- I wrote a guest post for Marketing Pilgrim that you should check out: Mobile Advertising Has Future Among Teens.
- In more New Edge Media news, we’ve welcomed a new team member, Kate Morris, into the fold as Director of Client Services!
Unfortunately, the weather has gotten me down this week and I got sick mid-week. I wasn’t able to attend the November BAAMC meeting, but here’s some other stuff I picked up this week.
- Dallas Mavericks owner and noted entrepreneur Mark Cuban was charged with insider trading on Monday. Looks like a “he said, she said” for the time being, so we’ll see how this unfolds.
- Quick thanks to Lisa Riolo and Sam Harrelson for putting me in their blog rolls!
- This ventures into last week, but there was a big spam crackdown and many affiliate marketers saw a dramatic decrease in spam. Check out the ABW thread with the discussions.
- In an Obama presidency, the weekly address is going to be done on YouTube instead of over the radio.
- I bought something from an infomercial this week. Stay tuned for it’s awesomeness. You have to admit that infomercials do work from time to time. I’m just hoping that this product is as awesome as it seems. (No, it’s not Listen Up or ShamWOW).
- Oh, and Ted Murphy from Izea is swimming around in cereal for fun. And you can win!
That’s it! Have a good weekend and get all geared up for the holiday next week!Read More
I hate to say it, but I feel like I’ve been slacking on this blog for some time now. Ever since the beginning of October after my whirlwind trips to CJU, BlogWorldExpo, and then the Social Media Marketing Summit and the notes I was able to post from there, I’ve kinda let things go into auto-pilot, with only a few really good posts that were original content.
I also tried to work on a new blog, Beach Front Office, a chronicle of working at home and telecommuting. However, I’m not so sure if I should be separating that information into a new blog or including it into this one. My original intent for TrishaLyn.com was to be a whimsical look at marketing and my career as a young woman. I feel like I really do have a unique take on most things as I am learning as I go and don’t have a marketing degree – just a theatre arts dramatic writing one. So, I ask of those kind readers – which would you prefer? I keep my work at home stuff separate at BFO, or integrate it here into my whole experience as a young woman in Affiliate Marketing who telecommutes? Any opinions are welcome!
All that said, I feel better! And here’s a recap of some of the more interesting articles around the blogosphere that I read this week.
- Lisa Barone live blogged the Effective Affiliate Strategies session at PubCon this week. Good notes!
- Another take on PubCon from an affiliate standpoint was the faithful Shawn Collins with his PubCon 2008 Recap. I’m sure either Manda or Brandy will post a recap of their PubCon experience once they get back to Texas next week.
- For my blogger buddies out there, DailyBlogTips posted a handy article 50 Simple Ways to Gain RSS Subscribers. I need to work on this myself, I admit.
- Black Ink Project 2.0 is now available for the low price of $97.
- Back to Lisa Barone, she also posted a recap of her entire PubCon Liveblogging Coverage.
Welcome to November! I can hardly believe we’re in November already… it seems like it was September just yesterday! Do me a favor and remember that there’s Thanksgiving to think about before Christmas and stall on decking everything out in red and green for a month, will ya?
- Recently I wrote an article for the New Edge Media blog, Top 14 Tips for Affiliate Success. Check it out and be sure to follow New Edge Media on Twitter!
- Scott Jangro wrote a good post on Affiliate Marketing Network Blog Scorecards. The comments are interesting as well, so be sure to read the whole thing.
- Affiliate Summit now has a Fan Page on Facebook. Join up for updates.
- 37Signals now offers an affiliate program for their super awesome products, one of which is Basecamp, a great project management system that we proudly use at New Edge Media. Sign up for their affiliate program at http://affiliate.37signals.com.
- An interesting note about branding and your personal brand, Jim Kukral is going to re-brand himself next week. I’m very interested to see what he does and how this is executed, so stay tuned.
it’s been a crazy week, but a lot has been going on in the business world (not to mention my world lol)
- CVS Pharmacy bought small California chain Longs Drugs this week for $2.9 billion. Growing up with Longs, I’ll miss seeing the name around but they’re not one of the better stores so I don’t see it as a loss.
- AOL jumped into life streaming with their acquisition of Social Thing this week as well. I’ve never used Social Thing much, but I definitely won’t use it if it just gets pulled into their system.
- Affiliate Summit East 2008 in Boston wrapped up – I’m slowly getting all of my coverage posted. The next time I go to the show I hope to have a better laptop with a better battery and better wireless card so I can blog from the sessions instead of taking notes and blogging later. So much for live & current coverage!
That’s really about it this week since I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention to antyhing outside of the summit. I did pick up some good tools, so the Free Toolsday column should be back soon!Read More
Happy Independence Day! You should be out enjoying a parade, a nice BBQ, or some spectacular fireworks! I’ll forgive you if you’ve chosen to give my innocent blog a quick view amidst all the celebration though ;).
- A few months ago, Google officially acquired DoubleClick Performics, an affiliate network. This week they’ve rebranded as Google Affiliate Network. Shawn Collins wrote up his perspective on this – definitely seems to be a step in the right direction for the reputation of affiliate marketing.
- Last week I mentioned an irresponsible attack on the PMA by Shoemoney. Swift to clear up any confusion, the team posted What Exactly Is Affiliate Classroom’s Role in the PMA?
That’s it! Go forth and have fun this 4th!Read More